The RequirementsTo be a good fit for the role of Maintenance Manager, you will have:
- A high school diploma or GED equivalent required; college or tech school coursework/degree preferred.
- 8+ years of industrial maintenance experience, including at least 3 years and proven success in a leadership position.
- An unwavering commitment to safety, including:
- Placing the utmost importance on working safely.
- Maintaining a safe and orderly work environment for yourself and others at all times.
- Knowledge of OSHA safety requirements.
- Ability to maintain a Preventive Maintenance Program.
- Experience with inventory and related budget, as well as cost justifications for modifications and improvements.
- Knowledge and experience with Lean principles.
- Computer literacy including Microsoft Office experience (e.g. Word, Excel); CAD and/or SAP experience a plus.
- Excellent electromechanical skills, including:
- Ability to safely operate various shop equipment.
- Ability to lay out/construct additional electrical circuits or deleted circuits and update any changes to electrical schematics.
- Experience performing repairs and adjustments on PLC electrical systems.
- Experience diagnosing electrical problems using various meters and related equipment.
- Ability to read and understand electrical schematics and blue prints.
- Working knowledge of three phase motors and control circuits.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to effectively implement changes.
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Strong organization, prioritization, and scheduling abilities, with close attention to detail; the ability to handle multiple, sometimes competing priorities.
- Disposition to work and thrive in a fast-paced environment and under time constraints.
- Honesty, integrity and a commitment to confidentiality.
Qualified candidates will be required to pass a background check and drug screen.
The RoleOpportunity Snapshot
Reporting to the Plant Manager, you will manage a team that includes nine maintenance mechanics covering our plant in Corona that operates 24/7/365. The team supports the production of clay roof tiles and is responsible for maintaining and repairing a wide variety of material handling equipment, including belt and poly conveyors, agitators and mixers, elevator racks and more, as well as electrical equipment, including three phase motors and control circuits. You will ensure that equipment is maintained at pique performance and maintenance operations meet and exceed our safety, quality and efficiency standards.
The Corona plant operates three shifts, seven days per week. We run an eight-day rotating schedule where maintenance mechanics work six days on and two days off over an eight-week cycle, meaning their days off change weekly. Each mechanic also receives two days of overtime per cycle. Typically, there are two mechanics on every shift. We do our best to minimize overtime, but also have special projects on occasion. For example, the plant shuts down from Christmas through New Year's. When Production is closed, Maintenance takes an "all hands on deck" approach to projects that are challenging when the plant is open. You'll be expected to be there with your team. Additionally, you'll have a cell phone and take calls 24/7 as needed.
To be successful and thrive in the role of Maintenance Manager, you will need to excel in two key areas: technical ability and management.
- Technical ability. As shown under The Requirements tab, you will need an electromechanical background and industrial maintenance experience to be able to assess, mentor, train and assist members of your team. While you won't be on equipment daily, you will need a solid technical background, including hands-on experience, to earn credibility and succeed in this role. Understanding of 3 phase electrical power, comfort working with higher voltage (480V), basic industrial mechanics (conveyors, valves, bearings, etc.), welding and fabrication knowledge will be essential.
- Management skill. You will take ownership of a mixed team including a few members who are newer in their careers and seasoned veterans with 10, 20, even 30 years of experience. They understand the equipment and know the operation, however, we're not looking for a manager to maintain the status quo. You should be a skilled leader who can earn respect and take charge of the maintenance operation. You will be a visible presence on the floor, have high-expectations and hold team members accountable. Additionally, you'll take responsibility for overall project management, work prioritization, scheduling, parts inventory, etc.
- Direct and lead all the maintenance activities of all maintenance mechanics to effectively maintain plant equipment and all electrical components, including mobile equipment.
- Ensure plant safety compliance, including air pollution, health department regulations and OSHA requirements.
- Communicate company policies to employees; develop, train and enforce safety regulations.
- Inspect, monitor and control the quality of workmanship and completed tasks to ensure it meets company standards.
- Implement, maintain and upgrade (as needed) the plant preventive maintenance program which includes the mobile equipment maintenance program.
- Assist and develop maintenance staffing as needed and directed.
- Administer discipline and attendance policies per Boral Roofing policies.
- Assure, monitor and maintain equipment spare parts; organize and control all maintenance inventories.
- Learn and understand all quality assurance procedures and requirements.
- Lead and facilitate the development and implementation of continuous improvement processes to improve equipment and employee performance.
- Implement changes as appropriate to improve effectiveness and efficiency.
- Manage Maintenance Department housekeeping in all work areas through proper scheduling and direction of activities.
- Leverage excellent communication skills in order to enhance employee development and promote good relations.
- Ensure you are proficient with all machinery in order to assist maintenance workers, monitor quality, and/or train as needed; fill in knowledge gaps as required.
- Follow and enforce company safety policies and procedures at all times.
- Handle other duties and special projects as assigned by the Plant Manager.
Pictured: Few roof products are as beautiful or enduring as Boral roof tiles. Adding a roof tile is one of the easiest and most effective ways to increase the beauty and value of a home.
More Good ReasonsImpact
This isn't a role for a caretaker to maintain. This is a role for someone with the drive and vision to identify improvements and implement strong changes. You will be able to see the direct results of your efforts and continue working to build a best-in-class operation.
You can build a long-term career with Boral Roofing. While you could be happy and challenged in this role for years to come, if you have the runway and desire to advance, you could set your sights on opportunities in Corona or other Boral Roofing locations across the U.S. From the role of Maintenance Manager, people have stepped up to Assistant Plant Manager or even Plant Manager. Some opportunities would require relocation.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a comprehensive benefits package including all you'd expect, such as a range of insurances, PTO, and a 401(k) with company match.
Pride in product
Roof tiles, when used as part of our Cool Roof System, can help reduce attic temperature by as much as 45°. Our Cool Roof System has been featured in Florida Roofing Magazine, Texas Builder Magazine, Western Roofing and other industry publications.
Our people are our most valuable resource
If you're looking for a place where you can make a home, be challenged and grow your career, you've found it! We value collaboration, respect individual and team contributions and we know people enjoy working here, as demonstrated by employee longevity.
Pictured: Boral Roof Tiles are affordable, energy efficient and come in slate, shake, Spanish mission and many other styles.
Keys to SuccessTo be successful in the role of Maintenance Manager, you will be a strong and visible presence for your team, showing up across shifts and knowing everything that's happening on the floor. While the team will have the ability to call you if something goes wrong, you will coach them to take ownership of their responsibilities so that you won't be the easy "go-to" person for minor issues.
In addition, to excel in this role of Industrial Maintenance Manager, you will:
- Place the utmost importance on working safely and maintaining a safe work environment for yourself and others at all times.
- Take ownership of your responsibilities and make the role your own.
- Build strong relationships and effectively communicate up and down the chain.
- Plan, create, meet and exceed KPIs, such as inventory management, unscheduled repairs (breakdowns), etc.
- Dedicate yourself to learning and filling any gaps in your skill-set.
- Bring strong organizational skills and pay close attention to fine details.
- Manage priorities effectively in a fast-paced environment.