The RequirementsTo be a strong fit for the Assistant Plant Manager opportunity, you will have:
- 5+ years industrial manufacturing experience in a leadership position managing at least 10 to 12 reports
- A college degree strongly preferred
- An ongoing commitment to driving and sustaining a culture where safety is the number one priority
- Solid understanding of Lean manufacturing principals / 5S: the ideal candidate will have demonstrated success driving improvements in safety, quality, productivity and/or efficiency using lean methodology (e.g. 5S, Kaizen, Six Sigma, etc.)
- Proven success managing a maintenance team including:
- Knowledge of production equipment and machinery
- understanding of troubleshooting, repairs and preventative maintenance
- Ability to lead and assess maintenance performance
- Skill and experience working with diverse groups and multiple levels
- The ability to help develop and implement standard operating procedures (SOPs), job work instructions and other plant policies and procedures
- Experience managing and developing improvement strategy to operation budgets
- Solid knowledge of OSHA regulations and safety requirements
- Skill effectively teaching / training employees
- Willingness to relocate domestically once you're groomed for a Plant Manager role. You could stay in Phoenix, but should also be prepared to step up in another plant
- Bilingual English / Spanish a plus
- High energy; career driven
- A visible and collaborative management style that empowers employees
- Exceptional interpersonal and management skills and the ability to earn credibility and gain buy-in
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and command of basic math functions
- Outstanding problem-solving abilities
- Organization, prioritization and time management skills; strong multi-tasking abilities
- The ability to work independently and meet goals autonomously, including developing, teaching and following up on improvement activity.
The RoleOpportunity Snapshot
Reporting to the Plant Manager with a dotted line to the Director of Plants for the Western US, you will oversee operations in a well-run facility producing tile roofing products. This is an efficient, fast-paced plant requiring a high-energy leader who will dedicate him/herself to its operation. Standard hours will be 5 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., but you'll rarely work a standard shift. When you join us and are learning, for example, you can plan on spending 10 to 12 hours at the plant daily.
The plant has four production lines and three shifts running five days per week, with Saturday operations as needed. We have up to 100 employees when we flex to meet needs, down to as few as twenty when it's slow -- though it hasn't been slow in a long time.
You will invest the majority of your time out on the floor, overseeing all production activities and safety practices to support your teams, drive continuous improvement processes, monitor employee involvement, and more.
More specifically, you will:
- Assist plant manager in creating a safe working environment, ensuring implementation of plant safety policies, procedures, and programs
- Place the utmost importance on working safely by always maintaining a safe and orderly work environment for yourself and others
- Assist the plant manager in other matters such as, but not limited to:
- Quality assurance
- Risk management
- Equipment and machine acquisition and repairs
- Service contracts and agreements
- Office administration
- Make recommendations and assist the plant manager in developing the operating plan and monitoring results against the plan
- Maintain current permits and/or obtain new permits from appropriate governmental agencies, ensuring the facility is in regulatory compliance
- Direct and coordinate activities as assigned to obtain maximum efficiency of operations and meet production needs
- Train and coach supervisors and hourly personnel
- Confer with the plant manager to establish work schedules for Production
- Adhere to budget for all departments, including maintenance supplies
- Supervise equipment/facility maintenance operations including the preventative maintenance program
- Provide relief for Plant Manager as required
- Special projects, as time allows and per the Plant or District Manager
What's in It for You?Enjoy visibility and make your mark
This is a tremendous opportunity for an assistant plant manager with a passion for safety, maintenance and lean methodology and the mindset to embrace and sustain continuous improvement, making a good thing even better. It's a chance to spotlight your talent and set the stage to advance your career.
Showcase your talent and this role could open other doors within the company. In fact, we're looking for someone who is hungry to advance and willing to relocate if necessary. The Plant Manager is slated to retire next year, so you could stay in Phoenix or transfer to one of our other plants.
Our people are our most valuable resource
if you’re looking for a place you can build a career home, be challenged and grow professionally, you’ve found it! We run collaborative teams, respect individual and team contributions and have a “ground-up” management view. People enjoy working here, as demonstrated by employee longevity.
In addition to a competitive salary and bonus opportunity, we offer a comprehensive benefits package including a range of insurances, PTO, and a 401(k) with company match.
Pride in product
Roof tiles, when used as part of our Cool Roof System, can help reduce attic temperature by as much as 45°. Our Cool Roof System has been featured in Florida Roofing Magazine, Texas Builder Magazine, Western Roofing and other industry publications.
Keys to SuccessOf course you will need all of the experience you’ve already earned, but success in this role will require more than technical skill. Your skill as a leader who can promote a safety-first culture will be pivotal to your success.
An authoritarian approach won’t work in our organization. If, however, your style is collaborative and positive, and you can work hand-in-hand with the plant manager to drive lean operations and then you could be a great fit here.
This is a role that cannot be managed from behind a desk. You should be visible and approachable, spending the majority of your time on the floor, getting to know your employees and everything about the operation. We’re looking for a leader who can get the best from the team and increase efficiency and profitability. You’ll need to be comfortable interacting with all levels, from the employees on the floor to corporate leadership, and as comfortable handling challenging administrative and human resource issues as you are resolving issues on the production floor.