The RequirementsTo be a good fit for the Bilingual Safety Specialist opportunity, you will have:
- 3 to 5 years of safety experience in a manufacturing facility, including developing and implementing processes, procedures and/or programs
- Bilingual English / Spanish required. You must be able to fluently speak, read and write in both languages
- Extensive knowledge of safety regulations (federal and state) relating to a manufacturing environment
- Solid training ability to educate employees on various safety topics
- Computer proficiency including Microsoft Office Suite (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- A history of success implementing safety programs and processes and gaining buy-in through influence rather than formal authority
- Strong attention to detail to create and maintain detailed records and reports
- Ability to work independently and as a collaborative team member; open to new ideas;
- A sense of urgency combined with a calm disposition, even under stress, to deal with safety issues; the ability to follow up and follow through
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- A valid driver's license
- College degree
- OSHA training and/or relevant certifications highly preferred
- Experience with industrial hygiene is a strong advantage
- Affiliation with safety association(s)
You also will need to be willing and able to travel to other company facilities and for training, though we anticipate travel will be minimal during the first year as you're getting Oceanside in shape. In time, you could travel up to 10%. Qualified candidates will be required to pass a background check.
The RoleZero harm today -- every day
Reporting to the Senior Occupational Health & Safety Manager, you will be responsible for all aspects of safety operations in our Oceanside facility. This is an individual contributor role, although you will provide guidance to leadership and employees and influence adoption and adherence to policies, procedures and safety initiatives. You will also be responsible for documentation and training. The Oceanside facility employs some 150 people producing tile and roofing products across three shifts. The plant operates 24/7 and has a variety of machines and heavy equipment.
While we have safety programs in place, we'll look to you to take a blank slate approach to ensuring that we are using best practices across the board, from hazard training to lock-out/tag-out procedures. As part of your responsibilities, you will:
- Ensure and evaluate adherence to the Injury and Illness Prevention Program
- Process and manage all workers’ compensation claims
- Develop job-specific safety training and ensure delivery
- Conduct train the trainer sessions for mobile equipment trainers
- Monitor the Hazard Communications Program, including accuracy and archiving SDS
- Analyze injury trends and areas of vulnerability
- Supervise incident reporting procedures
- Maintain OSHA Log 300
- Conduct periodic safety inspections and sampling to comply with permits and company policies
- Conduct job safety analysis for various plant tasks
- Perform other duties as assigned or needed
Pictured: Few roof products are as beautiful or enduring as Boral concrete roof tiles. Adding a roof tile is one of the easiest and most effective ways to increase the beauty and value of a home.
More Good ReasonsImportant impact
This isn't a caretaker role for someone who simply wants to maintain the status quo. This is a role for a safety professional with the drive and vision to identify opportunities to drive change and build a best-in-class safety-first operation and culture. You will be able to see the direct results of your efforts as you set and achieve your goals. You'll see change come to life on the shop floor.
You can build a long-term career with Boral Roofing. While you could be happy and challenged in this role for years to come, if you have the desire to advance, you could set your sights on opportunities in other Boral Roofing locations across the U.S. Some opportunities would require relocation.
Strong compensation & benefits
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a comprehensive benefits package including all you'd expect, such as a range of insurances, PTO, and a 401(k) with company match, an education reimbursement program and more.
Our people are our most valuable resource
If you're looking for a place where you can make a home, be challenged and grow your career, you've found it! We value collaboration, respect individual and team contributions and we know people enjoy working here, as demonstrated by employee longevity. Additionally, safety is always king. We care deeply about the safety of our workers, provide excellent safety training and have earned a top-notch safety record over the years. It's a record and program we're very proud of. You'll bring that vision to the plant in Oceanside.
Pictured: Boral Concrete Roof Tiles are affordable, energy efficient and come in slate, shake, Spanish mission and many other styles.
Keys to SuccessInitially, there will be plenty to do -- rolling out safety plans, training, tackling a running list of safety concerns, etc. -- and you should be able to make an impact in short order. That also means there will be a fair amount of paperwork and documentation. Over time, and once the safety operations are running well, you will be able to focus on continuous improvement and benchmarking. You'll know you're gaining traction as you move from building a safety function to focusing on improvements.
Your technical knowledge of safety will be essential, but just as important will be your influencing and interpersonal skills. This is a newly acquired plant in transition and there will be challenges as you bring change. To be successful, you will act as a change agent and help people understand how changes will benefit them in order to motivate them to embrace new processes. You'll help ensure that safety is deeply embedded in our culture.
In addition, in order to be an outstanding Bilingual Safety Specialist, you will:
- Think strategically and execute at a hands-on, tactical level.
- Bring strong relationship-building skills and the ability to establish credibility.
- Leverage strong multi-tasking skills -- the ability to rapidly change gears and then smoothly return to your original task.
- Spend a fair amount of time out on the floor, interacting with people in all areas of the plant.
- Remain flexible and able to manage multiple activities and priorities.
- Work independently and meet goals autonomously, while also contributing as a team player.