The RequirementsTo be a good fit for the role of Mechanical Engineer, you will have:
- A bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or another related focus
- Professional Certified Engineer (PE) highly preferred
- 5+ years of relevant experience in a manufacturing environment; knowledge of concrete manufacturing equipment desired
- The ability to read blueprints and interpret diagrams
- Excellent PC computer skills including MS Office Suite applications (e.g. Word, Excel); MS Project; ERP experience, SAP preferred; AutoCAD, SOLIDWORKS or NX
- Experience working on complex manufacturing projects required; capital project experience preferred
- Knowledge of PLCs a plus
- Bilingual English/Spanish a plus
- An unwavering commitment to safety
- Excellent written and verbal communication; ability to effectively and tactfully communicate with multiple levels and titles throughout the organization
- Strong interpersonal skills; the ability to lead through influence in a team-oriented environment
- Outstanding analytical reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Excellent organizational skills; the ability to balance multiple priorities in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Big picture vision combined with attention to detail
- Commitment to confidentiality
Qualified candidates will be required to pass a background check and drug screen.
The RoleOpportunity Snapshot
Reporting to the Plant Manager with a dotted line to the Executive Director of Manufacturing and Engineering, as Mechanical Engineer, you will be responsible for providing continuous leadership and support for operations at our Oceanside, CA plant. You will leverage your expert engineering skill and talent to support continuous improvement as well as 1MM+ capital and other projects with the goal of building and developing a top-notch production operation. Additionally, starting in your second and third year, you will participate in key projects at other Boral Roofing sites.
The Oceanside plant produces concrete roof tiles using a wide variety of equipment including presses from 15 tons to 275 tons, roll formers, breakers, punches, conveyors, agitators, mixers and more. We run 3 coating lines and ovens and are in the process of adding one more.
Working closely with the Plant Manager and Materials Manager, you will be responsible for providing continuous leadership and support to the plant by developing modifications and improvements to existing equipment, processes and products, and providing key engineering support to the commissioning of tile making equipment. You will split your time between continuous improvements and projects. Much of the equipment in this plant needs to be updated, so you will have plenty to sink your teeth in to. For example, an early capital project will involve packaging automation. Currently, operators move product from the conveyors to pallets and a packaging station. You will help us automate the process. You will also manage other improvements and projects already in the queue, as well as identify additional opportunities for improvement. You will be encouraged to bring your strong and creative ideas to the table. More specifically, you will:
- In a safe and efficient manner, provide engineering support to improve equipment, process, and/or products.
- Design and engineer modifications to existing equipment or process lines as needed.
- Support plant management and maintenance in the selection of proper components, engineered materials and wear parts for maximum effectiveness and minimal cost.
- Identify, source and work with outside vendors as required.
- Modify management of potential issues or shortcomings and provide solutions that are safe, process friendly and cost effective.
- Schedule, layout and organize larger projects such that the progress, cost and impact on production are adequately tracked.
- Work with other plants and manage other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Pictured: Few roof products are as beautiful or enduring as Boral concrete roof tiles. Adding a roof tile is one of the easiest and most effective ways to increase the beauty and value of a home.
More Good ReasonsProfessional & career development
We know you will bring outstanding experience, but we also believe you will add to your skill-set with interesting projects and exposure to new equipment. Though you could be happy and challenged in this role for years to come, if you'd like to take on new challenges, and once you prove yourself in this role, you can pursue other opportunities within Boral Roofing and in Boral plants across North America (we have more than 1700 plants across all of our businesses).
This is a rare role where you can make a tremendous impact by leveraging the full range of your talents. You will have the opportunity to bring your great ideas to the table and if they improve safety, production output, cost, etc., you will be able to implement them most of the time. Oceanside is a plant with a great deal of potential -- one where you can bring your creativity, make improvements and look back three years down the line with pride in what you accomplished!
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a comprehensive benefits package including all you'd expect, such as a range of insurances, PTO, and a 401(k) with company match and more.
Our first priority is our people and we always take a safety first approach. With our outstanding safety record, you can be sure that through our policies, procedures and culture of safety, we're always looking out for your best interests.
Our people are our most valuable resource
If you're looking for a place where you can make a home, be challenged and grow your career, you've found it! We value collaboration, respect individual and team contributions and we know people enjoy working here, as demonstrated by employee longevity.
Pictured: Boral Concrete Roof Tiles are affordable, energy efficient and come in slate, shake, Spanish mission and many other styles.
Keys to SuccessNaturally, you'll bring strong technical capabilities to the role, but your interpersonal skills, ability to lead through influence and manage change will also be critical to your success. Oceanside is an evolving and changing plant and we are concentrating heavily on bringing strong talent, such as yours, to the table in order to build a best-in-class operation. You'll need to be comfortable and effective in a changing environment, knowing that part of your role is to earn credibility in order to sell your great ideas and make a strong impact. That means you won't spend all of your time behind a computer monitor, but will be a visible influencer who will interact with others within and ultimately with leaders outside of the plant.
In addition to your more qualitative skills, you'll have quantitative KPIs such as project efficiency and cost measures, safety and more which can be used to demonstrate your success.